Due to an unhealthy lifestyle, most of us experience digestion problems like flatulence, constipation, diarrhea, and nausea. When these symptoms are encountered frequently, there is likelihood that it is due to poor digestion.
Digestion Explained, According to Ayurveda
In Ayurveda, the term “Agni” is used in regards to digestion of food and metabolic functions in the body. Agni converts food in the form of energy, which is responsible for all the vital functions of our body. Therefore, Ayurveda considers that Dehagni is the cause of life, complexion, strength, health, nourishment, lusture, oja, teja (energy) and prana (life energy).
About the importance of Agni, Acharya Charak has mentioned that after cessation of the function of Agni, the individual dies, and when the Agni of an individual is sama or balanced, that person would lead a long, happy, healthy life. But, if the Agni of a person is aggravated, the metabolism in the body would be disturbed, resulting in ill health and disease. Hence, Agni is said to be the base (mool) of life.As mentioned, Agni plays important role in every aspect of life, hence maintaining our digestion is our responsibility. Hence, by following a well-balanced diet and suggestions listed below one can maintain a healthy digestion. Let's explore natural ways to improve digestion:
6 Best Ways to Enhance the Digestion in the Body
1. Addition of Healthy Fats into your Diet: A body with good digestion demands a considerable amount of healthy fat. Incorporating healthy fat into the body makes you feel satisfied after the meal. In addition, it enhances the absorption of fat-soluble nutrients in the body, improving your digestive health.
2. Drinking adequate amount of water: Staying hydrated is crucial to having a healthy digestive system. Did you know that low consumption of liquid in the body is the primary cause of constipation? That's why experts suggest we have enough water regularly, at least 50-66 ounces daily, to keep constipation at bay. However, one has to account more than the recommended amount if living in a warm climate.
3. Prioritize Stress Management: Stress can hurt your digestive system, and it's associated with diarrhea, constipation, and ulcers. Hence stress management skills are essential for optimal digestion.
4. Mindful Eating: Eating food quickly is the leading cause of bloating, indigestion, and acidity. Mindful eating means:
- Consume the food slowly.
- Focus on the food, by avoiding talking and watching movies while eating.
- Be Conscious of every bite of the food that you consume.
- Stay Attentive to the taste and temperature of the food and enjoy it thoroughly.
5. Chew the Food Slowly: Chewing food slowly is the key to a better digestion and also enables you to feel satisfied. On the contrary, poor chewing leads to a decrease in the level of nutrient absorption. When one chews the food slowly and thoroughly, the stomach has to do relatively less work turning the solid food into a mixture that enters the small intestine. Furthermore, the more one chews, the more saliva is produced. This saliva aids in better food digestion, breaking down all the fats and carbs.
6. Late Night Food Consumption: Eating regularly late at night leads to indigestion and heartburn issues in the body. Our body needs enough time for healthy digestion, and overnight eating is one of the worst habits that affect digestion. In addition, never eat food in a lying-down posture, it may increase the symptoms of reflux. So, if you have been experiencing digestive issues, especially at bedtime, we recommend you could take a half an hour's walk before hitting the bed or sitting in Vajrasan pose (if your knees permit it) for enhanced digestion.
DigestOjas: An Ayurvedic Solution to your Digestion Problem
DigestOjas supplement from Ojas Ayurveda is a unique blend of ayurvedic herbs for optimal digestion. Trikatu stimulates the secretion of digestive juices and promotes the proper breakdown of food. It also can lower bad cholesterol and triglycerides. Amla fruit is one of the highest natural sources of vitamin C and also helps improve appetite, cleanse the intestines and regulate blood sugar. Saunf is one of the best herbs for digestion, which assists in stopping cramping and dispelling flatulence. It combines well with Jeera and Dhaniya seeds as these are cooling spices. They are calming to the nerves and excellent for urinary problems. Let's discuss the benefits of herbs included in it:
Benefits of DigestOjas
- It strengthens the digestive fire
- It helps build an appetite
- It is quite an effective expectorant to dispel colds and coughs
- It aids in digestion and removal of Toxins
- It helps in improving the blood pressure level.
- It is a rich source of immune-boosting antioxidants.
- It improves the health of the heart.
- It aids in enhancing digestion and gut health.
- It is the safest laxative herb
- It aids in weight management
- It gradually cleanses the excretory system
- It acts as a metabolic regulator
- It addresses the diarrhea problems.
- It mitigates the cholesterol issues in the Body
On experiencing the occasional, frequent, or chronic digestive symptoms, a healthy lifestyle and the above-mentioned nutritious diet can aid in combating digestion problems. Apart from this, you could try to manage stress levels, practice mindful eating and include physical exercise like yoga and running in your routine. You could alternatively book and online consult with our experienced physicians on best foods and supplements for your prakriti as per ayurvedic principles.